Friday, July 28, 2023

“The Messenger”

 “Now it came to pass after the death of Saul, when David was returned from the slaughter of the Amalekites, and David had abode two days in Ziklag;” (2 Samuel 1:1)


Background


David had returned to Ziklag. He had returned the kidnapped people and their stuff, as well as, a great deal more. God had once again provided for David.


The Messenger


While still in Ziklag a man came to David, who’s clothes were torn, and he was covered in dirt.


“And David said unto him, From whence comest thou? And he said unto him, Out of the camp of Israel am I escaped.” (2 Samuel 1:3)


Of course David wanted to know how the battle between Saul and the Philistines had gone. The messenger told David that he had “by chance” upon mount Gilboa, and that he had seen Saul leaning on his spear. There were chariots and horsemen after Saul.


The messenger continues. When Saul saw me he called me and asked who I was. I told Saul I am an Alalekite. And Saul asked me to kill him because he was in anguish. So I killed him, because I was sure he would die. I then took his crown and his bracelet and brought them to you.


“Then David took hold on his clothes, and rent them; and likewise all the men that were with him:


And they mourned, and wept, and fasted until even, for Saul, and for Jonathan his son, and for the people of the LORD, and for the house of Israel; because they were fallen by the sword.” (2 Samuel 1:11-12)


David asked the messenger, “Why were you not afraid to kill the LORD’s anointed? Then David had the messenger killed.


“And David said unto him, Thy blood be upon thy head; for thy mouth hath testified against thee, saying, I have slain the LORD’S anointed.”


Stay Tuned…

No comments: