Friday, July 28, 2023

“Meanwhile Back in Hebron”

 Ishbosheth and Abner are arguing about who is in charge. Meanwhile Back in Hebron, David and his house is busy having babies..and waiting.


Messages


“And Abner sent messengers to David on his behalf, saying, Whose is the land? saying also, Make thy league with me, and, behold, my hand shall be with thee, to bring about all Israel unto thee.” (2 Samuel 3:12)


Abner knew that things in the house of Saul were in shambles. Abner begins to plot his own escape by joining with David.


“13And he said, Well; I will make a league with thee: but one thing I require of thee, that is, Thou shalt not see my face, except thou first bring Michal Saul’s daughter, when thou comest to see my face.


14And David sent messengers to Ishbosheth Saul’s son, saying, Deliver me my wife Michal, which I espoused to me for an hundred foreskins of the Philistines.” (2 Samuel 3:13-14)


David responds to Abner setting the terms “bring Michal Saul’s daughter”. You remember her, “Wherefore David arose and went, he and his men, and slew of the Philistines two hundred men; and David brought their foreskins, and they gave them in full tale to the king, that he might be the king’s son in law. And Saul gave him Michal his daughter to wife.” (1 Samuel 18:27)


Michal was David’s first wife and she had worked hard to keep her father from killing David. After David had escaped, Saul gave Michal, David’s wife, to Phalti the son of Laish. (1 Samuel 25:44) David wants her back.


David sends the same message to Ishbosheth, “And David sent messengers to Ishbosheth Saul’s son, saying, Deliver me my wife Michal, which I espoused to me for an hundred foreskins of the Philistines.” (2 Samuel 3:14)


Ishbosheth sends Michal with her present husband following and crying about how he is losing his wife, but Abner meets them and tells her husband to go back, alone. It is easy to see here that Ishbosheth thought he was involved in a league between himself and David, this is not so.


“17And Abner had communication with the elders of Israel, saying, Ye sought for David in times past to be king over you:


18Now then do it: for the LORD hath spoken of David, saying, By the hand of my servant David I will save my people Israel out of the hand of the Philistines, and out of the hand of all their enemies.


19And Abner also spake in the ears of Benjamin: and Abner went also to speak in the ears of David in Hebron all that seemed good to Israel, and that seemed good to the whole house of Benjamin.


20So Abner came to David to Hebron, and twenty men with him. And David made Abner and the men that were with him a feast.” (2 Samuel 3:17-20)


Abner is in effect, replacing the leadership of Saul’s house and has control over the elders of Israel. With that control, Abner realizes the common people of Israel will follow where ever the elders lead them.


David is now the King of Israel.


Stay Tuned…

No comments: