Monday, August 17, 2015

Why I Serve

Why I Serve


    Laying on my back looking at the stars the smell of pine drifted on a mild cool breeze. I was amazed by the clearness of the night. Each star a pin prick of light. I noticed one of the stars moving rapidly across the sky. I realized it was a satellite hurtling through space. That brought me back to the reality of where I was, and what I was doing.

    I was lying on the top of a launch lid, beneath it was a Minuteman II nuclear tipped missile. Alpha 5 was the name of the site and it was one of missiles President Kennedy referred to as his “Ace in the Hole” in negotiations during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I thought about the millions of Americans, no, the billions of people all over the world who depended on me to do my job right. I would defend this missile with my life if necessary.


    It was in that moment I knew that I had found the higher calling for my life. I was determined to experience and learn as much as I could about my mission. I began to study the world military situation , the political situation, and how they worked together to achieve peace.

    Politics and the military are like Siamese Twins, inseparable. An undeniable symbiotic relationship. The fact that the United States military is led by civilians is indicative of the melding of military power, and political power. In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, “Speak softly, but carry a big stick.”

    I have served under Presidents that understood this relationship. They used the power of the military as part of their political plan for peace. Realizing that with a “Big Stick” nations would be careful in how they treated other nations that were protected by the United States.

    Unfortunately I also served under Presidents that not only did not understand the relationship of Military and Political power, but sought to weaken our military. This had the effect of weakening our influence over other nations, especially hostile nations. These failures have led to the deaths of thousands of Americans, many of them innocent civilians.


    Although I have retired from the military my service has not ended.  
It is due to the clear and present danger posed by internal and external threats that I will continue to promote leaders that seek to keep our nation safe through superior fire power backing political influence.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your service Captain!