Monday, September 23, 2013

Guns Control Responsiblity

Guns
Control
Responsibility
By
CaptBlackEagle



I am a full supporter of the 2nd Amendment to the United States Constitution. I see nothing in the text that limits the type, number, or caliber of firearms a person may own. I feel that this extends not only to the United States, but it is a basic human right for all. 

For the Government to restrict ownership of firearms by responsible gun owners is a violation of that right. It is important to discuss the idea of a responsible gun owner, and I will use myself as an example.

I own several firearms.  I have owned them and had access to them since I was about 9 years old.  I grew up with the rules of owning a firearm. As a child the fact that you always treat a firearm as if it is loaded, always be aware of what is behind your target, and the safe transport of a firearm in the course of hunting. 

The military taught me how to employ a firearm in a tactical environment.  I was taught situational awareness, target identification, the best methods for employing a firearm, and the legal ramifications if I made a mistake. Safety was stressed, and not just a single class, but also a daily briefing, monthly class, and quarterly test.

The idea of controlling ownership of guns is a very touchy topic.  Absent of any overwhelming reason such as, mental issues, or criminal activity[1] the ownership of a firearm must not be restricted.

I support strict control on who may possess a firearm in a public area. In public there are tactical concerns that exceed the average user’s knowledge.  A 72 hour course once in a lifetime is not enough to engender confidence in the public’s ability to use a firearm effectively, or safely.  An untrained, well-intentioned person can cause much more harm than good. This issue needs to be addressed by all responsible gun owners.

I know this does not sit well with everyone, especially those irresponsible few who view this as a political issue.  I will point to the George Zimmerman case.  Although he was within his rights, he was tactically an idiot. Had he employed some simple tactical techniques he would never had a direct encounter. Responsible gun owners know this.

I will be pressing for gun reform that addresses these issues. As long as you are not deemed a mental case or felon you may own whatever you like at home.  However, without initial tactical and recurring training, you will have to leave your firearm at home.








[1] Any felony must result in loss of gun ownership anywhere at anytime. 

No comments: