Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hope

...a continuation of What is an American Part V.


"I go to New York and I saw a big sign saying 'Smirnoff' and I said to myself, what a country! 'America Loves Smirnoff'!" - Yakov Smirnoff

In America pursuing Happiness is something we are all allowed to do. Some have turned that pursuit into something truly amazing.  They have made our nation the envy of the world...and touched the hearts of many who were in need. This is the story of one of those immigrants.

Thanks for the Memories
The Story of Bob Hope.

Bob Hope immigrated to the United States with his parents in 1908 to Cleveland Ohio from England. He was a natural at making people laugh.  For me to attempt to do even a small biography of this man would be impossible in this space, but what I can do is highlight his love for this nation.

"I have always been in the right place at the right time.  Of course I steered myself there."
Bob Hope

Bob Hope was a big star during his time.  He was so big that he often upstaged some of the more serious actors.  He could name any price for his appearances, but there was one group that he worked tirelessly for...and that was the American Soldier.  

His first performance was in 1939 aboard the Queen Mary as World War II began.  For the next 50 years he performed for the American Soldier as part of the USO.  Over 60 tours he has been in every theater of war in which America has participated.  He almost always performed in Army fatigues.  He personalized his act for the troops, and understood the hardships they endured.

When the time for recognition of service to the nation in wartime comes to be considered, Bob Hope should be high on the list. This man drives himself and is driven. It is impossible to see how he can do so much, can cover so much ground, can work so hard, and can be so effective. He works month after month at a pace that would kill most people.
John Steinbeck

Bob Hope brought laughter to those who needed it most.  His work for our troops during the most difficult of times.  He understood that his humor provided relief at a time when the troops needed it most.

If I have to lay an egg for my country, I'll do it.
Bob Hope

Not an American by birth...but certainly an American by spirit.


P.S. Sit down and share a Bob Hope movie with your Grand Kids.

No comments: